There are a few spots remaining in some of our classes. If you would like to register, please follow the instructions below and submit the "Student's Background in Japanese Studies" form. If we have a class available for your child, we will inform you.
The 2021-22 school year will begin on Saturday, September 11, 2021.
We are planning to return to campus for in-person instruction. We will follow the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) and San Mateo County Health guidelines. If the guidelines change or anything prevents us from continuing in-person classes, please be aware of the possibility that distance learning may resume.
- Beginning Level: Students in grades TK-2 in 2021-22 (waitlist for 3rd-8th graders: complete Step 1 + submit "Student's Background in Japanese Studies" form only)
- Other Levels (ability to read and write all hiragana): Students in grades K-11 in 2021-22 (placement test required)
Class observations: Cancelled due to the pandemic. Here is an introduction video if you would like to see what we do.
Placement Test (not applicable for beginning level students): Dates will be announced later (If in-person testing is not possible due to the pandemic, level will be assessed via video interview.)
New Student Application Period: through June 12, 2021, or until classes reach capacity (we recommend applying early)
New Student Application fee: $60 (non-refundable)
- Submit a New Student Application
- Take the Placement Test (not applicable for beginning level)
STEP 1 for Current SMNG Families:
- Log in to your family account
- Select the "Family Information" form
- On the "Student Information" page, click "I have another student" and enter student's information.
STEP 1 for Families new to SMNG:
- Click here to provide us with your contact and student information
- Select "Create Account" (New User) and fill in Parent's name, email address, and select your password.
- Click "Verify my email" and then check your email for a link to complete the process. The link expires in 2 hours. If you do not receive the email, check your spam or junk folders.
- Once you have verified your email address, log back in.
- Complete the "Family Information" form
- Student's Background in Japanese Studies
- New Student Application
STEP 3: Meeting with the Principal
- This is a 15-minute session via Zoom for the New Student and Parent(s).
- We will contact you to schedule an appointment.
LAST STEP to Enroll: Register and pay tuition (online) between 5/1 and 6/12/21
- Check our homepage on 5/1/21 for registration instructions.
- From 6/13/21, registration will be accepted if space is available. $50 Late Registration Fee will apply.
2021-22 Tuition: $725 (total for the year) / $50 Late Registration Fee will apply from June 13th
Class Session: 9/11/21 - 6/4/22
Class Placements will be announced in late August.
Please keep your Saturday mornings open as your child could be placed in either A-class (8:20-10:10am) or B-class (10:25am-12:15pm).
If you have a schedule conflict that cannot be changed, we will make every effort to accommodate your child, but please understand that this may result in a class assignment that is not optimal for your child's level.
(Note: The Stage Presentation and Completion/Graduation Ceremony are all-morning events; the Picnic is an all-day Sunday event.)
Please see our FAQ page and explore our website for more details.