Apply Early. Openings for New Students are limited.
Class Session: September 9, 2023 - June 1, 2024 (in-person classes)
New Student Application Period: through May 31, 2023, or until classes reach capacity
New Student Application fee: $75 (non-refundable)
- Beginning level: Incoming Kindergartners & 1st graders (at regular weekday school)
(Transitional Kindergartners and 2nd-8th graders will be admitted if space is available)
- Other levels: Incoming Kindergartners through 11th graders (at regular weekday school)
(Placement Test required; must be able to read and write all hiragana)
Class observations: Due to COVID Protocols, we are suspending all class observations this year.
- Here is an introduction video if you would like to see what we do.
If you would like to view a video of our beginning level class (kinder-1st graders), please indicate your request in the Comments section of the “Student’s Background” form, and we will send you a private link.
Placement Test Dates (not applicable for beginning level students):
- May 13 (Saturday AM)
- June 10 (Saturday AM)
New Student Application Instructions:
STEP 1 for Current SMNG Families:
- Log in to your family account.
- Select the "Family Information" form.
- On the "Student Information" page, click "I have another student" and enter student's information.
STEP 1 for Families new to SMNG:
- Click here to provide us with your contact and student information.
- Select "Create Account" (New User) and fill in Parent's name, email address, and select your password.
- Click "Verify my email" and then check your email for a link to complete the process. The link expires in 2 hours. If you do not receive the email, check your spam or junk folders.
- Once you have verified your email address, log back in.
- Complete the "Family Information" form.
STEP 2: Submit the "Background in Japanese Studies" form.
STEP 3: Schedule your Meeting with the Principal.
- This is a 15-minute session for the Principal to meet with both the New Student and Parent(s).
- Select a day which is within 1 month of submitting the Background form.
- Sign-up form is on the page.
STEP 4: Submit the "New Student Application"
- $75 non-refundable application fee
- Details will be provided during your meeting with the Principal.
STEP 5: Register and pay tuition (online) between 5/1 and 6/15/23
- Check our homepage on May 1st for registration instructions.
- From 6/16/23, registration will be accepted if space is available. $75 Late Registration Fee will apply.
Tuition for 2023-24
- $940 for full payment (or $500 x 2 installment payments)
- $75 Late Registration Fee will apply from June 16, 2023
- The full Annual Tuition is non-refundable from August 15, 2023. This applies for both Full Payment and Installment Payment registrations.
- Withdrawals prior to August 15, 2023 will be entitled to a refund of tuition paid less a $200 administrative fee.
- Any exceptions to the refund policy will require approval by the Board of Directors for such extraordinary circumstances.
- No tuition fee adjustments for holidays, short-term and long-term absences, suspensions, and emergency school closures.
- Class Assignments will be announced in late August.
- Please keep your Saturday mornings open as your child could be placed in either A-class (8:20-10:10am) or B-class (10:25am-12:15pm).
(Note: Aside from regular classes, the Stage Presentation and Completion/Graduation Ceremony are all-morning events; the Picnic/Undoukai is an all-day Sunday event.)
Please see our FAQ page and explore our website for more details.